policy-question: auto-restart of services on update

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Sun Dec 4 11:53:48 UTC 2011

Hi.

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 01:24:00 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote

> some releases ago it was no problem to do a dist-upgrade with yum
> where all services wehre running without any interruption

From the wiki:
"Version updates without using anaconda - such as the yum method described
here - is unsupported and not recommended!"

I wonder why that might be.

> FAIK with F12 httpd crashed with the restart since openssl was updated
> and not consistentn while the upgrade - this is a bad behavior and
> should be replaced with a notice "you should call systemctl restart
> httpd.service" instead killig running services which would work even
> days after the upgrade

Please look at the history of the spec files of the packages in question,
I think you will find that most of them have been calling
"service condrestart" or something similar during update for a long time.

httpd is actually one of those packages which have gained this rather
recently (comparatively speaking): F10 was the first release that did it.