application icon locations and cache update

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Dec 6 20:48:23 UTC 2011

> Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> writes:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> * Fri Jun 13 2008 Tom Lane <tgl at redhat.com> 2.2.12-8
> >> - Install icons in /usr/share/pixmaps, not /usr/share/icons as this
> >> package has historically done; the former is considered correct.
> >>
> >> Digging further, the reason I changed it is because Red Hat's rpmdiff
> >> tool whinged about the previous placement.  Somebody is not on the right
> >> page here.
>
> > If you dumped the icons directly into the toplevel of /usr/share/icons,
> > that's most definitely NOT compliant with the icon theme spec, and that'll
> > explain why the tool complained about it.
>
> Doh.  The rpmdiff warning is a bit badly phrased and underdocumented,
> then :-(

The short version of what you should do is, at a minimum, put a 48x48
version of the icon in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48 . It's really good
to put a .svg version of the icon in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable
too, and what with GNOME using very large icons on its overview now,
it's really desirable to provide a 128x128, 192x192 or even 256x256
version too. Of course, it all depends what sizes and formats are
available from upstream.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey