MATE desktop environment (GNOME 2 fork)

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Fri Dec 9 07:03:30 UTC 2011

Peter Lemenkov wrote:
 > I'd rather help others with transition to Gnome3, as some active
members of our local
 > community (Russian Fedora) does.

I've spent months trying to get used to Gnome 3, and had lots of help
from various people, and I still can't stand it.  Yes, I know that there
are people that like Gnome 3, but I'm not one of them.
Gnome-shell-frippery helps, but isn't enough.

I tried switching to Xfce, and found it to be a lot better than Gnome 3,
but it was still missing a lot of things I'm accustomed to in Gnome 2.

I'm not trying to start another advocacy thread.  I'm just trying to
package up an alternative for people like me who liked Gnome 2 better.

Eric