DWARF 4

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 20:16:42 UTC 2011

Are there known obstacles in the way of replacing -g with "-gdwarf-4
-fvar-tracking-assignments" in our %{optflags}?  I'm eager to be rid
of gdb telling me that the one value I really have to know to diagnose
a crash has been optimized away.  Are there bits of the toolchain that
can't handle DWARF 4?  Will debuginfo grow significantly in size?

Just curious, because I've taken to use -gdwarf-4
-fvar-tracking-assignments in the projects I work on for my employer.
I haven't had a problem yet, and just wondered if there's a brick wall
up ahead somewhere...

Thanks,
--
Jerry James