Canonical Will Remove Java From Ubuntu

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Dec 21 17:52:53 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 05:09 PM, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 20.12.2011 19:30, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>> Probably because OpenJDK and SunJDK aren't really that compatible.

Well, hold on.  Both the proprietary JDK and OpenJDK meet the
specification, and we try very hard to be compatible with all
the things that Java programmers assume.  And we fix compatibility
bugs if we can.

> I am afraid that most of these problems are caused by stupid developers
> who are using (against all advices they were given) com.sun.* classes
> (which I am said is the most common source of problems). There is no
> protection against stupid programmers, I am afraid.

There really is very little difference between the com.sun.* classes
in OpenJDK and the proprietary JDK, as far as I know.  Of course, I
haven't really checked, but...  ;-)

Andrew.