Canonical Will Remove Java From Ubuntu

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Thu Dec 22 09:17:15 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 10:45 PM, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 21.12.2011 18:52, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> There really is very little difference between the com.sun.* classes
>> in OpenJDK and the proprietary JDK, as far as I know.  Of course, I
>> haven't really checked, but...  ;-)
>
> So, what is the root cause of (infrequent, but persistent) alarms about
> incompatibility between OpenJDK and proprietary JDK?

To know for certain I'd have to trawl all the bug reports, but they
seem to boil down to web plugin incompatibilities and assuming a
particular layout of the installation.  With regard to the plugin,
it's much more compatible now, but we still have occasional problems
with proprietary applications that make incorrect assumptions.  It's
particularly difficult with banks that have applications we can't even
try.  Oh, and we do have bugs sometimes.  ;-)

Andrew.