really strange ext4 behavior

Michał Piotrowski mkkp4x4 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 22:12:01 UTC 2011

Hi,

I added a disc to my box. I wanted to use ext4. I run fs_mark to test
speed, to my surprise I heard a really strange noises.

It's very strange because the drive is new
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age
Always       -       12

#  fs_mark  -d  test/
[..]
FSUse%        Count         Size    Files/sec     App Overhead
     0         1000        51200         22.8            54347

I decided to create an ext3 file system on this drive and everything works fine.

#  fs_mark  -d  test/
[..]
FSUse%        Count         Size    Files/sec     App Overhead
     0         1000        51200        103.7            57229

When I mount this ext3 fs as ext4 and run fs_mark I hear strange sounds again.

I use F14 and self compiled kernel from rawhide 2.6.37-1.fc14.x86_64 +
e2fsprogs-1.41.14-2.fc14.x86_64.

I mount ecryptfs on top of this file system.

Does anyone know what might be causing this strange ext4 behavior?

--
Best regards,
Michal

http://eventhorizon.pl/