Plans for BTRFS in Fedora

Chris Lumens clumens at redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 20:02:54 UTC 2011

> 1) Fedora 16 ships with BTRFS as the default root filesystem.
> 2) Fedora 16 ships without LVM as the volume manager and instead use
> BTRFS's built in volume management, again just for the default.
>
> 2) Anaconda support.  I've already talked with Will Woods about this
> some.  Really anaconda will format a normal disk with BTRFS with no
> problem today, the biggest issue here is adding the volume management
> stuff and allowing users to create subvolumes via anaconda.

Given the slate of changes we have lined up for F16 anaconda
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Features), I don't know that
adding another major storage change is going to happen.  I think in
large part, we were hoping to be done with major storage changes for a
release or two and work on other less touched areas instead (like the
UI).

But, perhaps we can find some time somewhere.  Knowing what the scope of
changes looks like might help with the planning a bit.

- Chris