Services that can start by default policy feedback

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Feb 24 15:25:25 UTC 2011

"Default install"?  This is @base from anaconda or something?

> or the entire world is
> going to set fire to you because cron isn't there by default any more.

True, in this design just running through the RPM path isn't
going to give you what it did before.

> And once you've got a default set for the default install, why not just
> do it at the package level and ensure some level of consistency?

Well...until one product wants a "service" enabled and another
doesn't.  I guess in the "whitelist" design the latter just has to
"chkconfig foo off" in a kickstart.  I think this is already the case
with openssh-server.

Anyways if we end up with just a documented list that's probably OK.
But it has tradeoffs - for example, it just says these services *may*
be enabled, not that they will.  So for someone writing a kickstart
file, you pretty much have to "chkconfig foo on" *anyways*, since you
have no guarantee that they actually *are* enabled in a specific
Fedora release.