Services that can start by default policy feedback

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Fri Feb 25 16:45:35 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 05:18:34PM +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 09:46:06PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > So we should default to init=/bin/sh and take it from there?
>
> Is it possible to start there and to get to a gdm login by only using
> the command "service <foo> start"[0] and making this persistent by using
> "chkconfig <foo> on"[0]? I doubt it, as editing /boot/grub/grub.conf does
> not happen using this interface, which is where init=/bin/sh is set.
> Using the command "service <foo> start" is what I meant by starting
> other services as this is the usual interface for this on Fedora.

No, but if that's your definition of "essential" then all we need is to
launch init and have it give you a getty. chkconfigging gdm on would
give you a graphical login, and you could probably even get a session. A
bunch of stuff wouldn't work because you'd be missing dbus and udev,
you'd be wasting extra power and losing performance becase there'd be no
irq balancing, you'd have no networking, you wouldn't be able to mount
anything via nfs, bluetooth would obviously be right out the window and
system logs wouldn't be updated.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org