Deltarpm python3 build failure

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 20:22:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 05:38:30PM +0200, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> I noticed an announcement that Python3 has made some changes in how C
> modules are built.
>
> I now seem to be running into some problems building deltarpm for
> Rawhide and it seems to be tied into this.  See
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=212117 for more
> details.
>
> Not sure if I need to change the Makefile to adjust for this, or just
> the spec.  Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

RPM build errors:
    File not found by glob:
    /builddir/build/BUILDROOT/deltarpm-3.6-0.1.20101230git.fc15.x86_64/usr/lib64/python3.2/site-packages/*
    Child returncode was: 1

Which is happening because the module is being installed to
%{_libdir}/python3.2mu/site-packages

So, yes, the Makefiles need to be changed.  The way they're detecting which
versions of python to build for are a bit hacky and definitely broken in
this instance.

I would instead code something that uses the python interpreter or config
scripts to tell what needs to be done.

You can adapt code like this to your needs:

for PY in python python3 ; do
  PYLIB=`$PY -c 'from distutils import sysconfig ; print(sysconfig.get_python_lib(1))'`
  PYVER=`$PY -c 'from distutils import sysconfig ; print(sysconfig.get_python_version)'`
  PYCFLAGS=`$PY-config --cflags`
  PYLDFLAGS=`$PY-config --ldflags`
done

-Toshio