taking over maintenance of broken/abandoned packages

Kurt Seifried kurt at seifried.org
Sat Jan 8 06:56:19 UTC 2011

What is the process for taking over packages that haven't been
maintained in a long time?

I posted some bugs (with fixes) to the Red Hat Bugzilla and have had
no response at all in over a month. Combine that with the fact the
packages in question have been completely broken for several versions
of Fedora (indicating that the current maintainer never even tested
the packages to see if they worked as shipped) is a good indication
that a new maintainer is needed I think.

I'd like to take ownership of them and a) fix them so they actually
work out of the box and b) get updated once in a while since they are
security related components (OpenID related packages).

--
Kurt Seifried
kurt at seifried.org
skype: 1-703-879-3176