selinux: rhel5 x fedora 14

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 10:02:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 01/12/2011 04:03 PM, Paul Howarth wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:02:21 -0500
> > Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> One solution would be to mount with a context on one of the platforms.
> >>
> >> On RHEL5 mount the users homedir with a context of nfs_t, and set the
> >> boolean to say allow nfs homedirs
> >>

> >> mount -o context="system_u:object_r:nfs_t:s0" /dev/ABC /home
> >> setsebool -P use_nfs_home_dirs 1
> >
> > What happens with newly-created files whilst booted in RHEL-5 in this
> > case? What will Fedora 14 see them as?
> >
> > Paul.
>
> nfs_t, i think so Stephens solution is probably better?  I would hope in
> stephens solution they would be labeled user_home_t.  But it would
> probably be smart to run restorecon -R -v ~/ When you login on F14
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)

I would like to thank you all for the suggestions.

In rhel5, I changed my fstab this way:

LABEL=/home             /home                   ext4
defaults,context=user_u:object_r:user_home_t:s0        1 2

All the files labelled "unconfined_u:object_r:user_home_t:s0" in F14 are
seen
as "user_u:object_r:user_home_t:s0" in rhel5, and my /var/log/mesages is not
no longer
full of denials.

However, even allowing httpd to read user content on rhel5 (files labelled
user_home_t, I guess),
I still get some warnings from selinux troubleshooter. Does this flag really
work on rhel5?

Does anyone think that using nfs_t (and setsebool -P use_nfs_home_dirs 1)
would make any difference?
Also, does anyone know whether rhel6 will be more "Fedora like", from an
selinux point of view?

Cheers.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti