fedpkg switch-branch behavior

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu Jan 13 16:39:21 UTC 2011

I recently got slightly burned by an unexpected behavior with
switch-branch. Apparently after switching branches fedpkg does not do a
pull, I'm not sure if this is right or wrong, I can see arguments on
both sides. Let me give an example:

foo (master)$ fedpkg switch-branch f14
foo (f14)$

You can see the files changed as would be expected. But the changed
files are not current with f14, they are the version from the last time
I was in the f14 branch. That's contrary to my expectation, I would have
expected after switching to f14 I would see the current state of f14. To
get the current state you have to do a pull after the switch.

I can see a (pedantic) argument which says preserving the branch state
as last "visited" is correct. But on the other hand I'm not sure that
matches most people's work habits and expectations. The only real
argument I can see for "reverting" to a prior revision when switching
branches is if one had modified files associated with that revision in
the working tree, but you can't switch branches in this scenario so I
don't think it applies.

I guess I have two goals here:

1) Alert folks to what might be unexpected behavior
2) Resolve if this really is the desired behavior

Thanks,

John

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>