Removing -fexceptions from $RPM_OPT_FLAGS

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Wed Jan 19 15:42:40 UTC 2011

Hmm ... so what should I do with mysql?  Since approximately forever,
upstream has recommended using -fno-exceptions (and also
-felide-constructors -fno-rtti) in CXXFLAGS.  I now realize that it's
a bit silly to do that when the plain-C files (of which there are
plenty) are being built with -fexceptions because of Fedora's standard
RPM_OPT_FLAGS.  I also note that the recommendation to do that seems to
have disappeared from their manual as of mysql 5.5 ... although their
own RPM specfile is still doing it.

Seems like I should either drop the nonstandard CXXFLAGS, or hack CFLAGS
to remove -fexceptions.

			regards, tom lane