Updating waf to 1.6

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Sun Jan 23 16:05:23 UTC 2011

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 06:11:30 +0100
Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> Simo Sorce wrote:
> > As far as I know the waf author himself considers embedding the
> > right way to go for projetcs.
>
> That shows that that upstream is completely wacky and it's idiotic
> for ANY project to rely on his code!

Dear Kevin,
I think you should calm down, watch in the mirror and repeat this as
you were talking about yourself, then think again if it is the right
way to behave in public.

You (or I for that matter) may not link how someone looks at things and
build its own stuff, but you have no right to say anything like "idiot"
because of that.

Bring out technical deficiencies and real reasons why you can have a
mile long makefile in your project and not a mile long set of python
scripts, and then we can start discussing on the merits of each
solution.

> > Samba4 (and soon talloc, tdb tevent, we are building them these
> > days) do embed their own copyof waf together with project
> > extensions to waf.
> >
> > The best thing is to not package waf on and in itself, and let
> > package embed the right version. At least until waf becomes mature
> > enough that the rate of change slows down to the point that option
> > 1 becomes feasible.
>
> The best thing is to get those projects to switch to a sane build
> system (http://www.cmake.org/) which cares about backwards
> compatibility and doesn't bundle itself nor any generated shell
> scripts.

Good, go for it, you are free to go out with your charm and reasonable
language and make all these projects change their build system, in the
meanwhile I would like sane policies that go *along* and not *against*
upstream decisions so that things build right.

> Failing that, they need to be patched to build with the version of
> waf we ship, whether it's newer or older than the one upstream uses.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH, sure are you volunteering ? No? Then please return back
to earth and let's discuss about reasonable solutions, not pipe dreams.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York