About mtune=atom

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jan 24 17:45:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 09:25:45AM -0800, John Reiser wrote:
> On 01/24/2011 07:43 AM, drago01 wrote:
> > It is the only 32bit only CPU still being sold,
>
> There are plenty of machines with 32-bit only CPUs (such as early Celeron,
> Pentium socket 478, even some Core Duos [Apple Mini]) which run Fedora very well.
> Many are less than 5 years old. In the US, that means the depreciation rules
> of tax law strongly encourage their continued use.

There's even plenty "still being sold".  How about VIA, itx, and tons
of other small/embedded stuff that isn't Atom.

*However* optimizing for 32 bit surely has to be a waste of effort
these days.  People who want performance should be using 64 bit
machines.  For everyone else it's good enough that Fedora can still be
used.  Optimizing for Atom alone is justified because Netbooks are
used interactively.  So I think the Fedora flags are just right in
this case.

Rich.