About mtune=atom

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jan 25 07:20:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 09:25 -0800, John Reiser wrote:
> On 01/24/2011 07:43 AM, drago01 wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Sergio Belkin <sebelk at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've read on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:RPMMacros#Build_flags_macros_and_variables
> >> that mtune=atom. Just because I'm curious, why?  :)
> >
> > Why not?
> >
> > It is the only 32bit only CPU still being sold,
>
> There are plenty of machines with 32-bit only CPUs (such as early Celeron,
> Pentium socket 478, even some Core Duos [Apple Mini]) which run Fedora very well.
> Many are less than 5 years old. In the US, that means the depreciation rules
> of tax law strongly encourage their continued use.

IIRC, when we stopped supporting i586, someone kindly ran some tests of
the various -mtune options, and atom optimization turned out to work
best for almost all the processors tested - it's not _just_ good for
Atoms. I could probably drag that post out of the archives if I weren't
a lazy good-for-nothing, but I am, so, what you get is my
probably-faulty memory. =)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey