fedpkg build version numbering discrepancy

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Thu Jan 27 23:27:55 UTC 2011

On 01/27/2011 04:10 PM, Jean-Marc Pigeon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	Hoping to be wrong.
>
> 	Today I was working on my package after a long time,
> 	I upgraded from version 2.1-320 to 2.1-400.
>
> 	I didn't "fedpkg new-sources" and only updated
> 	the spec file to be 2.1-400 (sources file was
> 	still referring to 2.1-320).
> 	fedpkg commit ; fedpkg push
>
> 	Next, fedpkg build
>
> 	Koji reported me 2.1-400 was compiled no trouble.
> 	how come? new tar file was not event uploaded...
>
> 	Is my understanding right?, koji build
> 	report "spec file" version while crunching
> 	"sources file" version!
> 	Did I missed something or we are in "easy mistake"
> 	situation??.

Really depends if the rpm Version tag is 2.1-400 or if you are talking
about Version: 2.1, Release: 400.

The Release is the number of times the package at that upstream version
has been packaged. When unpacking the source it expects (unless you've
given it a different path) to find the sources as package-version so
package-2.1 in your case, and the 320,400 means nothing...

If you aren't talking about Release: 400 then everything I've said above
is null and void and I have no idea.