OpenMPI, Emacs and libotf problems

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jul 6 19:39:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 20:03 +1000, Amit Saha wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I am hoping it is OK to discuss this here. I came across this problem
> when I was building a custom spin where the kickstart file installs
> 'openmpi' before 'emacs'.
>
> When I start emacs, here is what I get:
>
> $emacs
> emacs: error while loading shared libraries: libotf.so.0: cannot open
>
> So, this library is missing. However, this should have been installed
> as its a dependency, right?
>
> It can be seen that there are two providers listed for libotf.so.0.
> Since 'openmpi' was already installed, so it didn't bother installing
> 'libotf'. I could simulate the scenario on a Fedora 15 installation:

The problem is that openmpi includes a libotf.so.0, but it's not in a
path that the system will usually look in for shared libraries, it's in
(libdir)/openmpi/lib/ . openmpi probably shouldn't have a private copy
of libotf in the first place (assuming that's what it is, and not just a
naming coincidence), but if it's going to have one, it should have a
line in the spec to prevent RPM auto-provides from giving the openmpi
package a Provides for libotf.so.0.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey