systemd: Is it wrong?

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Mon Jul 11 00:02:38 UTC 2011

On 07/10/2011 07:31 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> Let's just aggree on disagreeing about this approach anyway the last
> unit file I submitted does what Steve and you and perhaps many others
> want's it to do afaik...

  To be clear - I have as yet no views on systemd unit files et al here
- just saying its healthy to keep things coherent. So my comment is
limited to your specific suggestion of breaking things apart.

  In fact I'd prefer a world where every app config file belonged
directly with the app and not elsewhere - for one thing this supports
having multiple versions of apps whereas if there is a single config
(/etc/app.conf) this does not cleanly support multiple app versions.

  Compare with:

  /usr/lib/app-v1/
                 etc/app.conf
                 bin/app
                 ... etc
  /usr/lib/app-v2/app.conf
                 etc/app.conf

  and one can eve make a default versions via soft links much as the
alternates scheme does:

  /etc/app.conf -> /usr/lib/app-v1/etc/app.conf

 etc