systemd: Is it wrong? -> wrong order

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jul 11 08:57:09 UTC 2011

Am 11.07.2011 04:51, schrieb Matthew Garrett:

>> I truly truly truly hope so... but at the end of the day... I
>> simply can't allow a new, untested (in a business environment)
>> package destabilize a technology that is used by a large number
>> of our community...
>
> If it's impossible to make NFS work sensibly with systemd then obviously
> we'd revert it. But I don't believe that that's the case, and nothing
> you've said in this thread has changed my mind there. It's clearly
> possible to get NFS working. The question is whether it's possible to do
> so in a way that matches your expectations of how users want NFS to
> behave, and that's not an issue that results in any destabalisation

my main critic on systemd shipped als default with F15 is that
widely used services like NFS are not converted to systemd
BEFORE systemd replaced upstart

the acceptance and bugfree-state could have been MUCH better
if all services would be converted before the switch because
in this case probably some improvements would have been done
on systemd side

what happended was:
* systemd is pushed
* most services are not converted
* many services have open questions how to go forward with systemd
* what do if some services CAN NOT be converted fully?

this is simply bad on every point of view and point 4 would be a reason
to improve systemd as it is intended to replace SysV/LSB-services and
"in systemd world" is not a good argument if things are not working
properly