BTRFS: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jul 14 02:06:21 UTC 2011

Am 14.07.2011 03:57, schrieb Eric Sandeen:
>> bleeeding edge / modern technology is not the same as dangerous defaults
>> unstable / unfinsihed packages should never be default in GA nor replace
>> existing and over a long time well working things - never!
>
> You might have said the same thing about ext4 in F<whatever it was>
> and yet, here we are, shipping it as default for many releases now, with
> little trouble.

ext4 is not written from scratch and it is a hughe difference
if we are speaking from a improvement of ext2/ext3 with many
years history on all sorts of setups (desktop, server, notebook)

the troubles of lost kde settings was enough on crashes and yes
i had the luck of a system-disk hangig some times exactly as
this was discussed in a way "POSIX do not say what exactly
happens after that, it says only the FS must be clean and
not what data are there or not"

virtual machines this time are really a normal thing and if
there are hughe troubles now a FS should NOT be DEFAULT in a
few months - why everytime this hurry? jesus one of the biggest
benefits of open source is that there ar eno marketing idiots
with release plans which forcing a release without enough testing

so why do we not need this benefits and fire out permanently
new technologies in a not understandable hurry?