Starting user UIDs at 1000 - please check your packages

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jul 20 17:17:31 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 16:15:34 +0000,
  Benjamin Lewis <ben.lewis at benl.co.uk> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, how does this affect existing systems which have human
> UIDs of 500, 501, etc..?
>
> Do they suddenly become system UIDs or is login.defs left alone then
> (and consequently no change happens)?

When the change was first pushed, it broke graphical logins as gdm didn't
display logins with uids < 1000 and there was some issue with using "other"
at about the same time. I went in and changed login.defs back to 500 and
filed an RfE against gdm to based the list displayed on the shell
associated with accounts rather than the uid.