Java 7 for Fedora 16

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 00:03:07 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 02:00:24PM -0700, Douglas Myers–Turnbull wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just something I wanted to bring to attention:
>
> Java 7 is slated for release (after years of hassle and heated debate)
> on 28 July, 2011.
> I think this would be an important feature to include for the Fedora
> 16 release, and the months between Java's release and Fedora 16's 25
> October release would allow plenty of time to integrate Java 7. If I'm
> not mistaken, if Java 7 isn't released this time around, it won't be
> in Fedora until the Fedora 17 release rolls around, nearly a year (!)
> after Java 7 is released.
>
> I created an unfinished, skeletal feature page here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Java7
> Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge to help build it. I'm
> announcing it here in case whoever maintains Java 6 in Fedora, or
> someone else, is interested.

The alpha change deadline is a week and three days away so this is very
likely too late.  If you want to try to get an exception to get this in, you
need to get the Java SIG excited to do it, get the Feature page finished
(with estimates of how much time it will take to finish and who will do the
work) and put it before FESCo/Feature Wrangler to see if they'll grant an
exception.

Judging by the state things are in now, I don't know that it looks too
hopeful unless you get some Java SIG people to commit to working on it.

Maybe a better idea would be to try to make your contingency plan into
a Fedora 16 feature and Java 7 as default for all of our java applications
a Fedora 17 feature (that would still need a fesco exception for a late
feature but if the Java 7 stack didn't affect the rest of the software on
the system, it would largely be a Feature needing release notes instad of
a feature needing coordination between maintainers.  Those are easier to
grant exceptions for.)

-Toshio