Standard for packaging Gtk and Qt front ends

Raghu Siddarth raghusiddarth at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 09:17:38 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 5:56 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:

>  > 1. Use an empty "meta" package that pulls in a default (gtk) front end.
> E.g
> > :
> > Pname (meta) -> Pname-common -> Pname-gtk
> > Pname-gtk -> Pname-common and
> > Pname-qt -> Pname-gtk
> >
> > Or,
> >
> > 2. Create sub packages for each front end, i.e *-gtk and *-qt, that
> depend
> > on a common package. So :
> >
> > Pname-gtk -> Pname
> > Pname-qt -> Pname
>
> either is fine.  1 is just a variant of 2 with the addition of the
> metapackage really,
> which I personally consider not necessary, but I also consider it something
> left to the
> discretion of the maintainer in question.

Great -- I've already done the packaging as per 1 (by looking at
transmission).

I feel the meta package approach is better, because users can run "yum
install Pname",
and get the Gtk bits. The only issue is for Qt users, as they will have to
search and
understand to use "yum install Pname-qt", to pull in the correct front end.

If I'm not mistaken, .deb uses meta packages to do this as well.

Thanks,

-- Raghu