Adding ~/.local/bin to default PATH

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 14:55:16 UTC 2011

On 07/28/2011 03:50 PM, Braden McDaniel wrote:
> My understanding of the history of /usr/local's nomenclature is that it
> was intended to be "local" to the machine (and thus not NFS mounted).

I always understood it to be site local rather than machine local - the FHS
states that it may be used for programs and data shareable amongst a group of
hosts (but again, NFS mounted /usr, /usr/local or even separate (but local) /usr
has some problems today).

> Your point applies just as well to /usr; but I think the intent was for
> NFS-mounted /usr to accommodate a single point of installation in
> homogeneous environments; supporting heterogeneous environments just
> wasn't the point.
>
> My impression is that NFS-mounted /usr is pretty uncommon these
> days--and perhaps unheard-of using Linux.

It's not unheard of historically but see for e.g.:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken

> NFS-mounted $HOME, however, continues to be relatively common and
> certainly warrants consideration.

Agreed.

Regards,
Bryn.