BTRFS concerns (was: Re: Plan for tomorrow's FESCo meeting (2011-06-01))

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Jun 2 17:44:46 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Josef Bacik <josef at toxicpanda.com> said:
> These sort of issues are my priority and I've spent the last 2 months
> specifically working on the kvm performance differences between ext4
> and btrfs.  Now we're not on par with ext4 yet, but we aren't 2-3
> times slower any more, maybe at the most we're 20% slower.  Thanks,

How does it compare to straight LVM for virtual images?  I create a big
LV and then only use part of it for the host OS VG; when I create VMs, I
create a VG for each (or I can snapshot an existing "base" VG).

It is my understanding that one goal for btrfs is to take LVM out of the
picture for the common case; i.e. btrfs can do its own logical volume
management.  If that's the case, there needs to be something comparable
to the VM-on-VG setup (in terms of ease-of-management and performance).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>