Gnome Shell Extension manager/framework planned?

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 15:28:19 UTC 2011

Hello,

I am seeing a metric ton of extensions showing up for Gnome shell that
are enhancing the shell in positive ways. Some are packaged singly;
some are grouped together in bundles; some are configured by editing
.js files directly. I am hesitant to install any of them because of
the manual, bolted on feel of them and the risk of them causing
trouble in the future.

Is there some sort of extension management planned that would handle
the separate enabling/disabling/configuration of individual extensions
via the grand unified Settings menu?

If this is under way, could extension makers be pointed towards it to
future-proof their extensions.

If not then I think it needs to be introduced early to avoid the mess
that is beginning to develop.

/Mike