Proposal: retire bittorrent

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Jun 15 12:12:56 UTC 2011

I propose to retire bittorrent (the original python client) for the
reasons outlined below. If anyone's interested in taking it over
instead, please apply on the package database and I'll transfer
ownership. Think carefully before you act though!

Dead Upstream:
==============
Well, not actually dead but upstream has gone closed-source as of
version 6 so it's effectively dead.

Old Version:
============
Upstream's last open-source release (code dump really) was 5.3
(http://download.bittorrent.com/dl/), which was little more than a GPL
re-licensing of 5.2.2 and a dump of upstream VCS content. Fedora has
been stuck with 4.4.0 though with its PyGTK GUI because the "new" GUI in
version 5 was a rewrite with wxGTK but it didn't work with wxGTK > 2.6
(http://bugzilla.redhat.com/223623) and so was unusable in Fedora.

I believe Mandriva "solved" this problem by having transmission obsolete
bittorrent-gui and just shipping the console version.

Open Bugs:
==========
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/189072 (bittorrent doesn't die gracefully)
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/189295 (bittorrent is not utf-8 aware)
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/237254 (translations not working since python
2.4)
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/246879 (LSB-ize initscripts)
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/489810 (bittorrent stops seeding files, even
when "seed indefinitely" is checked)
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/630569 (traceback due to argument parsing error)
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/678710 (crash due to not running via provided
initscript)
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/707637 (RFE upgrade to 5.x)

Some of these are probably quite easily fixed by someone that knows
their python and is willing to dive into the code but they would have to
be prepared to the de-facto new upstream maintainer if they wanted to
take it on.

Doesn't Obey Protocol: