GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Fri Jun 17 03:34:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 22:15, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 18:59 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 01:19 +0200, Henrik Wejdmark wrote:
>>
>> > My impression is that GNOME3 is trying to compete with Android and FrontRow,
>> > but have forgotten all of us who still uses desktops/laptops. We don't have
>> > touch screens yet....
>>
>> This is a common misapprehension, but it's not true. The reason for the
>> large icon grid is actually that the developers did real world user
>> research (yes, really!)
>
> Where were these studies done and were the results made public?

I'm not on the design team for Shell but I can tell you want I do
know. I blogged about their usability test hardware here:

http://jasondclinton.livejournal.com/74620.html

The design research examined was posted publicly and openly discussed
as early as Summer 2009. The references were posted here:

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/References

The original design document based on that body of research was posted
in late 2009, here:

http://www.gnome.org/~mccann/shell/design/GNOME_Shell-20091114.pdf

As you can see, it was all done in the open and started roughly two
years ago. Obviously, it has evolved since then, too.

There are others who can better fill in the gaps in what I have
provided. But I'm not sure any of them would have read past of the
first email in this thread, due to its tone. I know that I didn't want
to.