The behaviour of systemctl.

Aaron Sowry aaron+rh at aeneby.se
Fri Jun 17 22:06:56 UTC 2011

n Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:41:14PM +0100, Martin Dengler wrote:
> As you point out, git-log and --help do this too.  It's excellent.
> Make it configurable if you must, but I'd be interested to think why
> you think it's not always the useful thing to do.

The reasons why it's not the useful thing to do were pointed out in my previous email.

> grep has had --color=auto for almost ten years[1].

Indeed - so why not use it, instead of, at least in the case of git-log, '--decorate'? At least then I can use grep with every output which needs 'decorating'.

> But the ship has sailed on stdout-is-tty
> being an acceptable default driver of different output formatting.

No ship has sailed anywhere, because there are plenty of places output can be sent en route to tty - 'watch' and 'egrep' are two examples. Also, tty is not the only place people want to send user-friendly input. What about files and printers?