systemd: bugreports for missing service-files

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 20 10:41:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 11:20 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 20.06.2011 10:09, schrieb Mathieu Bridon:
>
> >> and the policy says "no change for F15", so F15 is released broken
> >> and has a policy not to fix it the whole lifetime - WTF?
> >
> > Fedora 15 is not broken (at least not regarding systemd integration).
> >
> > Systemd has a pretty decent compatibility with sysv initscripts, so that
> > services can be migrated each one at their own pace.
>
> F15 IS BROKEN
>
> because their is no order for mysqld, no socket as needed
> so EVERY service depends on mysqld running into troubles
>
> this is NOT solveable they way systemd fires up sysv services

It is, but it might be a too disruptive update to be allowed in a stable
release.

> and you will tell me the release is not broken and QA says
> it is not allowed to fix this in the complete life-cycle?

I will tell you that if this was so important to you, you should have
participated earlier to make sure everything was working as you expected
by the time F15 was released.

Also, here are the Fedora 15 release criteria:
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_15_Final_Release_Criteria

What you ask was simply not a requirement for the release. And it's not
(yet? ;) a criteria for the release of Fedora 16 either:
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_16_Final_Release_Criteria

Based on that, I'd say you have two solutions:

1. make sure **your** requirements become **Fedora** requirements
    => you can't simply shout/complain/ask, you will have to invest some
time to help define additions to the release criteria
    => it will be very appreciated if you then join the QA effort to
test those new requirements (perhaps no one else has the configurations
to test them?), possibly provide patches to the package maintainers,
etc...

2. accept that Fedora is a community-based distribution, that it has a
"best-effort" QA. If your requirements are higher than those of Fedora
and you can't/won't help make Fedora releases better tested so that they
fit your requirements, then perhaps you need to reevaluate your decision
to use it.

I'm sure everyone here would be a lot happier if you picked the first
option as it provides tremendous benefits, both for you and for the rest
of the community.

--
Mathieu