bash evaluation change...

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 06:55:27 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 04:03:18PM -0700, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> Hello while trying to build a package of mine on F15 I ran into
> configure issues. They stem from a change in how bash evaluates case
> statements. My test script: http://fpaste.org/6zuv/
>
> F14:
>
> -Z!!!
> = x
> X1
> X1.1         <--- evaluates to No Match for F15
> xyes2
> xyes3
>

> F15:
>
> -Z!!!
> = x
> X1
> No match1.1   <--- evaluates to X1.1 on F14
> xyes2
> xyes3
>
> Is this a regression that should be reported to bash? Or is this
> expected and should be fixed in my package? You'll notice that the if
> test methods continue to function in the same manner.

Simpler reproducer:

case x"" in
  x) echo 'expected'
     ;;
  x??) echo 'this would be really odd'
     ;;
  x?) echo 'does this prove anything?'
      echo x""x
     ;;
  *) echo 'no match'
     ;;
esac

=> does this prove anything?
   xx

I'd say, report this as a bug and see where it leads.  It's certainly not
expected behaviour even if it is intentional.

-Toshio