[GSoC] Avahi repositories for yum

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sun Mar 20 19:08:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Yin Qiu wrote:

Have fun with your GSoC project!

> I'll briefly talk about my understanding about the idea. In the spirit of "dividing the project into separate pieces", I suggest the final deliverables include:
>
> 1) a script to help repositories that reside on nfs or http servers to advertise their presence. Does this mean we shall add a new service type, say _yum._tcp, to zeroconf?
> 2) a plugin that, once enabled, automatically discovers published yum services and adds it to the pool.
> 3) modification to anaconda to incorporate automatic yum repo detection.

- Allow for checking with GPG, and make it the default to require it to ensure my machine does
   not start downloading evil packages in an evil network
- anaconda last I checked (el5) was somewhat limited in what authentication it could do
   during install and what repos it would write in the yum.repos.d - it has to come from
   a 'release' package. Perhaps that announcing would really help.
- discovering external far away repos would be nice (esp for europeans that don't have software
   patents and could use mp3, ecc, based package repos)
- with DNSSEC, one could publish the GPG key for a repo in the DNS as a trust anchor to use. I am
   not sure if a dnssec validating resolver is available on install, but we are working on making
   it available on all installs.

Paul