What's this /run directory doing on my system and where does it come from?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Mar 30 14:45:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, 30.03.11 09:35, Adam Miller (maxamillion at fedoraproject.org) wrote:

> Again, I'm not against that this is being done, but I would like to see
> everyone equally follow suit on the way things are traditionally done
> in Fedora land.

Well, the technical change is actually minimal, and this is mostly a
contract between dracut, systemd, udev, and very few other low-level
packages.

The real technical changes will come when we make /var/run a symlink,
since that probably needs some changes with a wider impact on other
packages. That is planned for F16 and we'll require broader
acceptance. For that I will file a feature page.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.