adding manual to existing package - soft review ?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon May 2 08:04:07 UTC 2011

On 05/02/2011 01:48 AM, David Timms wrote:
> The -manual package can be used by either audacity or
> audacity-freeworld. At the moment the manual spec marks up the
> datadair/audacity folder and hence dually owns it with audacity if that
> is installed. Reading the packaging examples, seems that this can
> sometimes be OK, but does what I've done make sense ?

Seems to make sense if you don't want to add a dependency to either package.

> Or should I Require the audacity (or audacity-freeworld) package, and
> not add the datadir/audacity folder to the -manual directory.

No opinion on that (don't know enough about it), but if you do, you can
accomplish the "or" by adding a dependency on /usr/bin/audacity.

> Thirdly, vague recollection of one source/package. Should the -manual
> just be a separate package anyway (review?) ? It's likely to be updated
> more often, but not necessarily in sync with the program.

I'd lean towards making it a completely separate subpackage then.  But
whichever way you choose, the manual should be kept in sync with the
"main" package so that it documents whatever is in the main package, not
earlier nor newer version of the software.

If the intent is to make the manual installable without installing
audacity itself, I'd also consider installing the manual to let's say
/usr/share/doc/audacity-manual and patching the main packages to use it
from there, I think that's a location where people are more likely to
find it than /usr/share/audacity/help.

> 4. Being new to git/fedpkg, how can I tell which branch I'm on ?

"git branch".

If you use bash, here's how you get it shown directly in your prompt:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Git_Quickref#Display_current_branch_in_bash