illegal instruction - create compile variants ?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon May 2 15:24:53 UTC 2011

Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> There is the STT_GNU_IFUNC feature implemented for it - the indirect is
> handled by linker without an additional indirect overhead if applied for a
> shared library function. For apps it works in a similar way as normal
> indirect.

Are there any caveats (initialization order or so) when using this feature?
E.g. would one get away with calling something like
http://api.kde.org/4.0-api/kdelibs-apidocs/solid/html/tutorial3.html (i.e.
Solid::Processor::instructionSets) in the ifunc or would trying to call such
C++ classes lead to errors or unpredictable behavior?

And I presume this is available on ELF glibc targets only, isn't it?

        Kevin Kofler