[systemd-devel] systemd - move /selinux to /sys/fs/selinux - maybe remove /srv ?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon May 2 17:29:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, 02.05.11 12:09, David Quigley (selinux at davequigley.com) wrote:

> Merging the kernel patch without doing the
> legwork for userspace first is a very bad idea. The kernel is what
> mounts the FS under /selinux so if you have it mount under
> /sys/fs/selinux instead without coordinating with the required usespace
> changes you'll have a completely broken system. I'd say let Dan handle
> when the right time to merge the kernel patch is since both him and the
> tresys people will have to be involved with releasing new versions of
> libselinux . Also Dan will have to work with some of the package
> maintainers to cleanup and fix their packages as well. I'd really not
> like it if I can't test new kernels with my labeled-nfs patches because
> we merged an ABI breaking change into mainline without making sure
> people can handle it first.

No, userspace mounts the fs to /selinux.

If the kernel patch is merged (and it will, given that Dan okey'd it)
this wil just create an empty directory in /sys/fs/selinux suitable as
mount point. That's all. Whether this is actually used as mount point is
left to userspace.

Merging the kernel patch is pretty much risk-less. The transition to it
can happen at a later point, slowly, at a pace defined by Dan.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.