informations about boot sequence (Re: F15 - mysql start problem)

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Mon May 9 23:04:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Jason D. Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com> wrote:
> 2011/5/9 Miloslav Trmač <mitr at volny.cz>:
>> Is the tradeoff really "correctness vs. saving a few seconds when
>> booting a server"?
>
> You know that's not what has been said and it's not really fair of
> you.
That was a question...

> You want a server to fail on network failure; fine. Why don't you
> just say that instead of characterizing it as "correctness"?

I just can't see how a setup in which (systemctl status my_server)
reports everything is fine and dandy when in fact the server is not
able to accept a connection is correct, and especially "more robust"
as it was claimed upthread.

... rereading the thread, the thing I have missed is that we don't
want to block startup in configurations where the server binds to
127.0.0.1 because the system might never come online. So there appears
to be no universally correct default for programs with flexible bind
addresses :(
   Mirek