systemd questions

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu May 19 01:06:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 07:42:17PM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:

> > I am pretty sure we don't want to run Java programs at late boot, as
> > root. This would be really bad.
>
> You know, it's not like there is a choice for many models ...

That's really not a given. For anything short of us having to send http
requests, there's no fundamental reason why this can't be done
in-kernel. For cases where we do have to send http requests, well,
that's kind of a separate issue (you want to run java after you've
unmounted all the filesystems?)

> It is not necessary, the hook can be called before you do that last
> operation, the driver will command the UPS to wait long enough for that
> operation to finish in time in 99% of the cases.
> For the remaining 1% of the cases, admins will have to re-tune the delay
> once power comes up and they find it wasn't enough time after all.

Or we could work on fixing the problem. We're not talking about an
incredibly large maount of code.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org