UID_MIN & GID_MIN changed

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Tue May 24 17:45:18 UTC 2011

On 05/24/2011 09:20 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 08:25 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

>> * This could potentially break sites that are currently using the
>> 500-1000 UID range and rely on the order of allocation of UIDs for
>> their users on new machines matching with the UIDs on old machines.
>> (For instance, NFS UIDs on filesystems matching between a box
>> installed with RHEL5 and a box that gets newly installed with F16).

> You need to force UIDs in that case anyway, and if you are not using
> something like NIS or LDAP then you have to mange that manually anyways,
> so I wouldn't make that a stopper for this very welcome change.

No, you don't need to force them.  ID 500 and up is the long-standing
default, so entering a small list of users [and particularly the _first_
user] in the same order will produce matching UID+GID on multiple machines,
even without NIS, LDAP, or "management".

Changing the floor to 1000 will create extra manual work for such users
who add a new system.  Also, the change won't produce any net benefit
for users with NIS/LDAP/etc if they already have IDs in [500, 1000).
They will continue to use those IDs.