upstart → systemd upgrade path issue

Petr Lautrbach plautrba at redhat.com
Thu May 26 10:15:52 UTC 2011

On 05/25/2011 09:33 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 05/25/2011 04:34 PM, Petr Lautrbach wrote:
>> upstart-1.2-2 hasn't changed upstart behavior. It fixes upstream bugs and also adds new
>> features like new stanzas (manual,debug) and also .override files
>> feature adapted from Ubuntu.
>
> We don't do feature additions like this in a existing release unless
> there is a very good reason to.  There is no reason to since we aren't
> using any of those new features in Fedora anyway.  Why would you ignore
> the update policy in a critical path package?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Updates_to_.27critical_path.27_packages

Ok, I admit that I should have sent announcement to allow wider awareness.

upstart-1.0 branch is in fact minor update of upstart-0.6.5, it was just declared stable.

.override files [1] in upstart allows admin to change behaviour of upstart job without changing
original file so that change will remain after package update. e.g. if I didn't want allow users
to use ctr-alt-del to reboot system, I would create /etc/init/control-alt-del.override file with "manual"
stanza. This sounds for me as very good reason to add this.

[1] http://upstart.at/2011/03/11/override-files-in-ubuntu-natty/

Petr
--
Petr Lautrbach, Red Hat, Inc.