GTK apps loog ugly

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun May 29 05:12:48 UTC 2011

Sergio Belkin wrote:
> I've installed F15 preserving home partition, and gtk apps look ugly.
> I've made a workaround moving .gconf and it fixed partially. (I'm
> using KDE SC)
>
> I've found some comments about it at (with a proposed workaround too):
>
> http://www.kirsle.net/blog/kirsle/gnome-s-impact-on-everything
>
> Can be this considered a bug?

For GTK+ 2 applications:
1. make sure oxygen-gtk is installed,
2. go to KDE's System Settings, pick the GTK+ entry (kcm-gtk) and select
oxygen-gtk there.
This will take effect only for GTK+ 2 applications. kcm-gtk doesn't support
GTK+ 3 yet, and oxygen-gtk's GTK+ 3 port is under development and not
packaged in Fedora yet. Also note that kcm-gtk only affects KDE Plasma
sessions, not GNOME, Xfce, LXDE etc. ones.

For GTK+ 3 applications, there's only one choice at this time: Adwaita, the
default theme from GNOME 3. (Well, there's a second choice: The builtin old-
school fallback inside GTK+ 3 itself, which is what you see in the
screenshot on that blog entry.) So, if (like most people) you find the
builtin fallback ugly, make sure adwaita-gtk3-theme is installed. It is the
systemwide default, so installing it will make your GTK+ 3 applications pick
it up automatically. We hope to have a solution for better KDE integration,
like the one for GTK+ 2 (oxygen-gtk, kcm-gtk), available for GTK+ 3 soon.

        Kevin Kofler