F15 and HP printer

Andrea Musuruane musuruan at gmail.com
Sun May 29 08:26:14 UTC 2011

Hi all,
    I just installed F15 over my old F14 (I just kept /home). I tried
installing my printer (HP Deskjet 5740) and I failed miserably.

First, accessing the printer panel from the system settings was
useless. No printer could be detected.

Then, I tried to run hp-setup from a root terminal. It wasn't
installed, and yum took care to install and run it. But it returned
the following error:

error: Install the hplip-gui package for graphical support.
warning: Qt/PyQt 4 initialization failed.
error: hp-setup requires GUI support (try running with --qt3). Also,
try using interactive (-i) mode.

It seems like a missing dependency. Anyway, I later manually installed
hplip-gui.

Running again hp-setup from the command line leads to the following error:

**
GLib-GIO:ERROR:gdbusconnection.c:2279:initable_init: assertion failed:
(connection->initialization_error == NULL)
Annullato (core dumped)

Then I run "HP Device Manager" directly from the GUI. The printer was
detected but the device manager wasn't able to detect a suitable PPD
file for my printer (and I couldn't too as it seems it is no longer
present).

It is a bit difficult for me to understand where it lays the problem
(and if it can be solve it) and against what to report bugs... it
seems that most printing system is utterly broken (at least for me).

I had no problem at all up to Fedora 14.

Regards,

Andrea.