reporting bugs

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Sat Nov 5 00:50:34 UTC 2011

On 11/04/2011 05:39 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 4 November 2011 17:23, Kevin Kofler<kevin.kofler at chello.at>  wrote:
>> Ian Malone wrote:
>>> If I filed every bug in the distro in upstream I'd have a dozen
>>> different bugzilla accounts by now.
>>
>> So what? Maintainers are not messengers, they have other work to do than
>> forwarding the bugs you're too lazy to file directly at the right place.
>>

> Is there any point in me reporting any bug in Fedora bugzilla ever then?

Sure, but understand that it may not be as effective as reporting
upstream.  I think it is useful for tracking purposes and for other
Fedora users to find (and why I hate the closed->upstream approach).
Sometimes it really is a bug in the Fedora package or in interaction
with Fedora libraries.

But many (most) Fedora packagers are over worked or do this in their
very limited free time and are almost certainly not as experienced with
the code as the upstream maintainers.

As an example, I recently filed a bug against ghostscript.  Now, Tim
Waugh is a great guy and often very responsive, but this time nothing
happened for a bit (I'm guessing he was busy :-).  So I filed upstream
and it was fixed in a day.  I notified Tim of the fix in the Fedora bug
and an update was shortly on its way (courtesy of that nice Tim guy).

Yes, I have dozens of accounts in upstream issue trackers.  No big deal.
  I want the issues I'm running up against fixed as soon as possible and
filing upstream I've found is the most effective means.  Filing in both
is even better.  But I won't call you lazy if you don't :)

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com