Upgrading libpng: shall we move to 1.4.x or 1.5.x?

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Wed Nov 9 15:12:08 UTC 2011

> In either case, as per the discussion at
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-October/157712.html
> I plan to provide the 1.2.x libpng shared library (and only the library,
> not its devel support files) in a libpng-compat subpackage for the time
> being.  So existing programs that depend on 1.2.x will continue to work,
> but it won't be possible to rebuild a package that has source-level
> dependencies on 1.2.x until those are fixed.  I think this is enough
> to avoid needing a special build tag for staging the rebuilds.

Any reason why the compat package ships the libpng-1.2.pc pkg-config
file? This made one of my packages use 1.5 headers, then later on
attempt to link to libpng12.so which failed.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty