Packaging Yorick

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Tue Nov 22 11:47:34 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Jonathan Underwood's message of Mon Nov 21 22:43:48 +0100 2011:
> Hi,
>
> I have just started looking at packaging Yorick[1][2], an interpreted
> programming language for scientific simulations. It seems that this is
> BSD licensed and so would be suitable for packaging in Fedora.
>
> However, by default and design it has a really horrible filesystem
> layout[3], with files under the following directory:
>

> relocate/  files required for building compiled packages, and:
>   bin/     binary executables
>   lib/     binary libraries for compiled packages
>   include/ header files for compiled package APIs
>   i0/      interpreted code required for yorick to start
>   i/       optional interpreted code libraries
>   i-start/ interpreted code that autoloads at startup
>   g/       graphics style files, palettes, and templates
>   doc/     documentation files
>
> According to the docs[3], it's possible to move the whole "relocate"
> directory elsewhere (eg. to be under /usr), but not to move
> directories underneath the main directory. This of course violates our
> packaging guidelines in many ways.
>
> Before I look into what's required to patch this beast to meet the
> packaging guidelines, I wonder if anyone else has tried packaging it,
> and/or wants to help?

One approach you can use is symlinking. It's what tomcat package
uses. It too has a specific directory structure, but we put things in
right places and then symlink them back into one directory. If those
dirs don't change too much it should be possible to maintain it.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>

PGP: 7B087241