A software center for Fedora

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Nov 27 17:55:28 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 02:06:51AM +0100, Björn Persson wrote:
> Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> > Can someone help me understand whats being asked for here? I can only
> > guess that I'm not the only person confused by this thread.
>
> Icons. The only thing I can see that Giovanni has mentioned that Packagekit
> doesn't provide is icons. Presumably he wants each application's own icon to
> be displayed in the list of available applications. Packagekit seems to
> display those only for installed packages, which is understandable as it would
> otherwise have to download all the packages and extract the icons.

Being devil's advocate here, it's not just icons.  If you have a look
at something like the Android Marketplace[1] you'll see there are:

 - app summaries
 - contributed reviews
 - scores-out-of-5
 - an indication of how many people downloaded each program
 - "top" apps in various categories (however that is calculated)
 - a good search engine

This reveals another flaw in this plan which is for this software
centre to be effective, it's going to require full time management to
filter out spammy reviews, optimize the search engine, classify apps
into logical groups, and to pick apps for top tables.

Rich.

[1] https://market.android.com/?hl=en

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v