Heads up: e2fsprogs-1.42-WIP-0702 pushed to rawhide

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Oct 3 18:13:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 02:51:33PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Another little heads up - a newer snapshot is built in rawhide now.
>
> Anyone who wants to fiddle with large ext4 filesystems, have at
> it please!

Is there any background information to this change that I can read?

I created a 2**60 byte disk, partitioned it, and tried to create an
ext4 filesystem on it, but that doesn't work:

  ><rescue> mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/vda1
  mke2fs 1.42-WIP (25-Sep-2011)

  Warning: the fs_type huge is not defined in mke2fs.conf

  /dev/vda1: Cannot create filesystem with requested number of inodes while setting up superblock
  ><rescue> parted /dev/vda print
  Model: Virtio Block Device (virtblk)
  Disk /dev/vda: 1126TB
  Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
  Partition Table: gpt

  Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
   1      32.8kB  1126TB  1126TB               p1

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v